Today Candace Hisey @MissHisey talks about true STEM and Language Arts Integration. With both extended and daily projects, students watch science, technology, engineering, and math come alive in all of their classes. Hear how Candace does it in today's Wonderful Wednesday classroom tour and why she'll never go back to the “old” way of teaching. Scroll down for links and pictures!
[button href=”https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/43-integrating-stem-and-language-arts-masterfully/id1201263130?i=1000383266263&mt=2″ primary=”true” centered=”true” newwindow=”true”]Listen on iTunes[/button]
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download this episode to listen offline by right-clicking here and choosing “Save As.”
In today's show, we'll discuss:
- The incredible element “museum” project where students integrate all subjects and their work in chemistry during tenth grade
- Flexible teaching time and how she uses it to integrate learning with other teachers
- Simple ways Candace brings research non-fiction into her language arts class
- Science Fridays in Language class
- The most transformational thing Candace has done in her experience in this new form of teaching
I hope you enjoy this episode with Candace!
Selected Links from this Episode
Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that a percentage of the sale price will be paid to me by the vendor for the referral. This is done at no additional cost to the purchaser.
- Bio-Med Science Academy
- The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Love, Madness and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements by Sam Kean
- The Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum
- “Return to Paradise” New Yorker article about the meeting between John Milton and Galileo
- The Anatomy of Fear by Psychology Today
- NPR Science Fridays
[button href=”https://www.coolcatteacher.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/E043_10mt_Hisey_language.pdf” primary=”true” centered=”true” newwindow=”true”]Download the Transcript[/button]
Candace Hisey is a graduate of Baldwin Wallace University and has been teaching Language Arts at Bio-Med Science Academy for three years. She is a strong proponent of interdisciplinary education, and this year she has been working with the chemistry instructor to build an integrated curriculum for tenth grade.
Pictures of the Projects Candace discusses in the show, used with her permission.
Tips for minimizing teacher stress
- Discover 10 stress-busting secrets for healthy teachers. What simple routines will help you handle the stress?
- Simple advice for coping with stress at work.
- Learn tips to help you deal with difficult colleagues and students (even those who "hate" you -- yes it is possible!)