As you visit this home on the web for the Cool Cat Teacher Blog and 10-Minute Teacher blog, I hope that you…
- May find this blog helpful (use the search box at the top right and on the podcast page to find just what you want)
May bea remarkable teacher for your students
- May find encouragement to be more patient with your students, more resilient in the face of criticism, and more helpful to everyone you meet.
- May know that many educators are out here sharing and caring. May you find many of their stories here on the pages of this blog and add them to your personal learning network (PLN)
Some things Vicki does…
During the day, Vicki teaches. Her students are a passion and love for her. She dreams of reaching every child and has a special love for kids who learn differently or struggle because some of Vicki’s own children have struggled to learn.
This blog, the Cool Cat Teacher Blog has received many awards including Edublogger Awards for
bestTeacher Blog and others. Hundreds of thousands of educators drop by. Vicki is a top global teacher blogger syndicated through Cathy Rubin’s Top Global Teacher Blogger authors.
Vicki has been the host of two iTunes chart-topping podcasts. Currently, Vicki is the host of 10-Minute Teacher show produced by her husband, Kip. This 5-day a week podcast launched February 1, 2017. It hit a top 10 spot in the K12 iTunes store within one week of launching.
Thousands of educators make listening to the 10-Minute Teacher part of their everyday commute.
Vicki also hosted Every Classroom Matters for three years with BAM Radio and won the BAMMY for Best Talk Show Host in Education. You can access the archives of the 301 episodes of the show here.
Global Collaborative Project Inventor
As creator or co-creator of more than 30 global collaborative projects, helping kids connect with the world is a passion of Vicki’s
The latest project is a global collaborative app creation project called MAD about Mattering. Her work has been mentioned in Thomas Friedman’s The World is Flat (version 3), Don Tapscott’s Grown Up Digital, and Curt Bonk’s The World is Open for this work.
With 139K followers (or so) on Twitter, Twitter has long been a way that Vicki connects and builds her PLN. She hopes to be helpful. @coolcatteacher
Travels with Student Presenters
A great joy of Vicki’s has been to take her students around the world to share and demonstrate how any classroom can use technology in powerful ways.
Vicki’s students have presented in Qatar, India, China, Hawaii, UAE, and in her home state of Georgia. They also present online quite a bit.
Conferences that want Vicki to speak sometimes want her students to share on a panel discussion or in other formats. Having students at conferences can be refreshing for the conference but the greatest joy is the lifechange that happens in the students as they learn to help and encourage teachers to be remarkable.
Vicki and her husband, Kip, have three children. Two of them have “learning differences.” (Do not say “disabilities” because every child can learn! This is a sticking point with Vicki.)
Vicki is passionate about reaching every child using technology, deep content knowledge, and personal relationships. Not every child is easy to teach but every child is worth the effort.
Vicki has learned so much through hard knocks with her own children but can tell teachers and parents that every child can learn and succeed. Refuse to believe test scores because her own children have risen more than 30 points from kindergarten to high school in IQ scores and even more than that in percentiles.
Never give up. Always press forward. Every child can learn. Vicki learned this at her kitchen table with her own children and will tell the powerful stories to anyone who will listen.
She still has her youngest in high school, so she’ll speak 4-5 times a year at conferences but no more. Being a Mom is her favorite calling.
Since 2006, Vicki has spoken at more than 100 conferences around the world.
Vicki teaches the simple 3 step model to “innovate like a turtle.” It as worked in her classroom and it can work in yours. She passionately encourages teachers to reach every child even when you don’t have a huge budget or lots of expensive technology.
Vicki has been a judge for the $1million Global Teacher Prize since 2015, the year it was founded.
Contact Vicki about speaking.
In perhaps the oddest of circumstances, Vicki’s software tutorials reach tens of thousands of people each month on YouTube.
Check out the Cool Cat Teacher YouTube channel. You’ll see lots of tutorials she makes and uses in her classroom.
Vicki’s classroom is a special place where students use Computer Science, digital film, Augmented Reality, Virtual Reality, and many more tools to share and inspire others.
- Wakelet and WeVideo: Powerful Distance Learning Edtech
- How to Engage Kids in Distance Learning
- 6 Tips to Close Out the School Year in Google Classroom
- What Will School Be Like in the Fall after a Distance Learning Spring?
- Sustainability Spotlight: How to Empower Students to Tackle Sustainability Issues
If you’ve read this far, contact me. How can I help you?
My Top Posts
If you are new to my site, it might be helpful to start by reading some of the top posts that others have found helpful.
- 10 Ways to Flip a Kid and Turn His Day Around
- Notetaking Skills for 21st Century Students
- 4 Writing Tips to Make Writing Easier
- 10 Stress Busting Secrets of Great Teachers
- 6 Ways to Motivate Teachers
- When Is it Time to Quit Teaching?
- Finding Your Beautiful Moment the last week of school
- What Do You Do When Someone Hates You?
- How to Use Padlet, a Fantastic Teaching Tool
- 100+ Great Google Classroom Resources
- Extensity: The Essential Chrome Extension Everyone Needs
- 15 Best Google Drive Add Ons
How To Guides…
If you’re looking for something specific, use the sidebar on the top of my blog to search. It is faster.
Vicki is a full-time classroom teacher and IT Director since 2002. She teaches or has taught Computer Science, Digital Filmmaking, Keyboarding, Computer Fundamentals, Accounting, and Computer Graphic Design.