Today Larry Ferlazzo @larryferlazzo discusses classroom management. Today, for Thought Leader Thursday, we’re thinking about how we can all improve our classroom management skills. Larry shares tips from an “old pro” about how we can create a more successful classroom environment. (And a word on if it ever gets easier.)
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download this episode to listen offline by right-clicking here and choosing “Save As.”
In today’s show, we’ll discuss:
- The first ingredient in successful classroom management
- The important question we must ask ourselves about everything we do in the classroom
- How to encourage intrinsic motivation
- Something that happened in his classroom this week and how he handled it
- Larry’s feelings on if he’s “arrived” or if teaching is still hard even when you’re a “pro”
I hope you enjoy this episode with Larry!
Selected Links from this Episode
- Twitter handle: @larryferlazzo
- Blog: http://larryferlazzo.edublogs.org/
- Author Marvin Marshall and his books on classroom management
- Author Daniel Pink about intrinsic motivation
- Author Henry Cloud about leadership
- The ESL/ELL Teachers Survival Guide; Navigating The Common Core With English Language Learners by Larry Ferlazzo
Larry Ferlazzo has taught English Language Learner, mainstream, and International Baccalaureate classes at Luther Burbank High School in Sacramento, California, for thirteen years. He has written eight books on student motivation, classroom management, and English Language Learners.
He writes a popular resource sharing blog for teachers, a weekly advice column for Education Week Teacher, and contributes regular columns on education issues to The New York Times and The Washington Post. He also hosts a weekly BAM! radio show. Larry is an adjunct faculty member at California State University, Sacramento and the University of California, Davis.
He was a community organizer for nineteen years prior to becoming a teacher. Lastly, a basketball team he plays for has come in last place every year since 2014, so he should not give up his day job for a career in sports.
Tips for minimizing teacher stress
- Discover 10 stress-busting secrets for healthy teachers. What simple routines will help you handle the stress?
- Simple advice for coping with stress at work.
- Learn tips to help you deal with difficult colleagues and students (even those who "hate" you -- yes it is possible!)