Social media and technology have changed parent-teacher relationships. If you're smart, you can harness their power. Today, educator Joe Mazza shares how you can overcome barriers to creating successful partnerships with parents. Joe believes is not our job as an educator to dictate where someone wants to get their information about the school. We should be flexible and communicate ways that parents want to receive information.
Today's Sponsor: Bloomz
[callout]Bloomz is a powerful, easy to use (AND FREE) parent-teacher communication app. It gives parents a choice of how they want to receive communications: email, notifications, the app or the website. This app also has photo sharing, calendars, messaging, behavior management, and student portfolios.
If you're using another communication app, you should give Bloomz a try. Parents don't have to chase down information. Bloomz also has a Bloomz for schools which lets you coordinate and set things up quickly in one place. I also love the “Facebook” button which lets you quickly send pictures or updates to your Facebook page with a click.
It is just easier to have everything in one place. [/callout]
[button href=”https://www.bamradionetwork.com/index.php?option=com_adagency&controller=adagencyAds&task=click&cid=17&bid=51&aid=3″ primary=”true” centered=”true” newwindow=”true”]Check out Bloomz[/button]
- What are “hard copy families?”
- How does giving parent communication choice empower parent participation?
- How can we onboarding parents into successful school involvement?
- What problem does parent camp solve for schools and communities?
- How can an open-minded attitude towards parents can help a school improve?
- What resources does Joe recommend for parent relationships?
Dr. Joe Mazza @Joe_Mazza is a lifelong learner, leader, and innovator. Formerly principal of “lead learner” at Knapp Elementary School, he currently serves as the Leadership Innovation Manager at The University of Pennsylvania’s Graduate School of Education and the digital strategist for c64KID INNOVATIONS, LLC.
Resources from this Show
- Parent Camp @ParentCamp – http://www.parentcamp.org
- National Association for Family, School and Community Engagement @NAFSCE nafsce.org
- Institute for Educational Leadership @IELconnects iel.org
- American Reading Company curates books based on the community. https://www.americanreading.com/
- Harvard Family Research Project @HFRP http://www.hfrp.org/publications-resources/browse-our-publications/connected-educators-connected-families