Librarian Micki Uppena has a student centered library. In addition to a rich maker space, Micki takes us on a journey into a 21st century library where kids love to learn. She also shares with us the free, inexpensive things she’s used to make her maker space awesome!
- Listen on iTunes
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download this episode to listen offline by right-clicking here and choosing “Save As.”
In today’s show, we’ll discuss:
- Typical conversations Micki has with her students in the library
- The importance of relationships in the modern library
- Inspiring life long learning
- The most inexpensive tools that have transformed learning in her library
- The treasure boxes she uses to get kids excited
I hope you enjoy this episode with Micki!
Selected Links from this Episode
Some of the links below are affiliate links.
- Twitter: @mic_uppena
- Legos: http://amzn.to/2lVWg3c
- K’Nex: http://amzn.to/2lbuR00
- Green Screen: http://amzn.to/2mcEA67
- Make sure you listen to the show to hear about the free, inexpensive things Micki uses. I would link to them, but you really can’t! 😉
Micki Uppena is a K-12 Library Media Specialist in Lancaster, Wisconsin who believes that relationships are built with students through books and risk-taking. She is a member of WEMTA, the Nerdy Book Club, and the Schreiner Memorial Library Board of Trustees. Micki challenges herself to model life-long learning through technology, travel, and literature!
Pictures of Micki’s Library / Classroom
Tips for minimizing teacher stress
- Discover 10 stress-busting secrets for healthy teachers. What simple routines will help you handle the stress?
- Simple advice for coping with stress at work.
- Learn tips to help you deal with difficult colleagues and students (even those who "hate" you -- yes it is possible!)