How should we be talking to children about terrorism? Did you know children under six shouldn't be watching the news? Do you know the biggest worries of high schoolers when they hear of terrorism? Child trauma expert Dr. Steven Berkowitz helps parents and teachers understand how we talk to kids of various ages about terrorism.
When terrorism strikes, have conversations with kids but educate yourself first.
Important Takeways: What the Experts Say About Talking to Children About Terrorism
- Recommendations for watching the news with children
- The biggest worries of high schoolers and how to talk to them
- What to say when kids ask “Will this happen to me?”
- How the news can cause trauma in children
- How teachers can help children through tough times
Dr. Berkowitz is a widely quoted expert in child trauma. His advice is simple but important for all teachers to understand right now. What you say to kids matters, especially when they are upset.
Educator Resources and Links from the Show
Quotes to share…
Tips for minimizing teacher stress
- Discover 10 stress-busting secrets for healthy teachers. What simple routines will help you handle the stress?
- Simple advice for coping with stress at work.
- Learn tips to help you deal with difficult colleagues and students (even those who "hate" you -- yes it is possible!)