As we start this year, each of us is in different circumstances. I rebel against anyone with a “one size fits all” plan that works for everybody. Each of us has a different approach to life and planning. As I do my planning, I spend time learning from others. You can also plan your year in a new way as I share what I do.
Over the past twenty years, I've created an annual planning system that works well for me. For the first time, I've put together a podcast sharing how I plan my year, along with some free forms, you can use to plan your year.
In this podcast, I include:
- 28+ questions I ask myself each year.
- How I used two one-page forms to review last year, and I plan to change everything this year.
- A “time budgeting” spreadsheet that helps me make a big-picture time budget for the year.
I also describe how I modify and improve my plan for the year as I grapple with life's hard questions. You can download these forms at www.coolcatteacher.com/annualplan. I will also send these to subscribers in my following newsletter after the release of this show.
😊 NOTE: Please forgive me. As I relistened to the show, I realized I got confused on some of my question numbering. I have included all my questions with the correct numbering on today's show's free handouts. The numbers are correct there!
Edge U Badges
With the ISTE Seal of Alignment, this program is approved by many districts as a flexible, personalized way for teachers to learn and grow. They will work with you to help your district accept your transcript for licensure renewal hours.
Edge U Badges has former teachers review every single badge within 1-3 business days of submission and no badge is ever denied without very specific feedback on what you can do to resubmit successfully or positive feedback on successful submissions.
This is a program that I'm reviewing for my own renewal that comes up this year and I'm excited about their microcredentialing system, which is why I'm recommending it to you!
Use the code COOLCAT for $20 off a premium account.
People often ask me how I plan my year and get so much done. In this episode, I'm sharing how and giving you access to the forms I use.
If you wonder about my context, I'm a busy mom of three (two are out of the house now, yippee!), a 21-year classroom teacher, author, blogger, podcaster, speaker, children's and adult teacher at church, and I sing in the choir. Oh, and I make homemade sourdough cinnamon rolls that my friends and family enjoy and workout five times a week. In 2022, I learned to walk again, literally. I've learned so much through hardships and heartache, but the best thing is finding joy in the journey, spiritual peace, and time with those I love most. I hope this show also helps you do that—blessings to you, dear listener.
I look forward to hearing from you!
- ⭐ Download my personal annual planning forms at www.coolcatteacher.com/annualplan
- “Be More Successful: New Harvard Research Reveals a Fun Way to Do It” by Shawn Achor
Books I Recommend in This Show:
- All It Takes is a Goal: The 3-Step Plan to Ditch Regret and TapInto Your Massive Potential by Jon Acuff
- Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking When Stakes Are High by Joseph Grenny, Kerry Patterson, Ron McMillan, Al Switzler, and Emily Gregory
- Necessary Endings: The Employees, Businesses, and Relationships That All of Us Have to Give Up In Order to Move Forward by Dr. Henry Cloud
- The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business by Charles Duhigg
- Atomic Habits: An Easy and Proven Way to Build Good Habits and Break Bad Ones by James Clear
- Work Clean: The Life-Changing Power of Mise-en-Place to Organize Your Life, Work, and Mind by Dan Charnas
- Building Your Second Brain: A Proven Method to Organize Your Digital Life and Unlock Your Creative Potential by Tiago Forte
- Your Best Year Ever: A 5-Step Plan for Achieving Your Most Important Goals by Michael Hyatt (This is on Kindle Unlimited for those of you who subscribe to that!)
For this show, I did not provide a transcript. If you are interested in an automatically generated one, please email me at vicki at cool cat teacher dot com.
Disclosure of Material Connection: This is a “sponsored podcast episode.” The company who sponsored it compensated me via a cash payment, gift, or something else of value to include a reference to their product. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I believe will be good for my readers and are from companies I can recommend. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Never Miss a Podcast Episode
Subscribe to get our podcast episodes by email.