I'll come back and add the video and more information, but the Ice Bucket Challenge gives us a great opportunity to teach digital citizenship and all kinds of great information. I'll talk more about this later, but here is my bellringer for today in this teachable moment.
My Ice Bucket Challenge Bellringer
You have permission to copy and paste this for your classroom and distribute it to your teachers. You don't have permission to sell it or put it in a book without my permission.
Ice Bucket Challenge – NAME: ______________________________
The ice water challenge is a fundraising program that has gone viral on the Internet in support of ALS. As with any campaign there are good and bad things happening with it. To be wise digital citizens, we need to be able to act with wisdom and know how we need to respond. Look on the web and answer these questions.
- What is ALS?
- What does ALS do?
- What is the Ice Bucket Challenge? What are the rules?
- Some have criticized this fundraiser for promoting slactivism? What is that?
- It is fun but where are the funds? Are they actually raising money? What impact has this challenge had on ALS Fundraising?
- What is one of the biggest criticism of the celebrity videos made on this?
- What is the ice bucket challenge fail
- What is a pop culture phenomenon?
- Are there ways that something like this could be used to promote a cause that is not worthy?
- What should you do to make up your mind as to whether you will participate in something like this?
5 Essential Points When You Have a Social Media Fundraising Challenge
- Encourage research and education when a challenge is issued.
- Encourage donation — funds not just fun when you have a serious disease like this that an organization is fighting.
- Use this as an opportunity to teach and educate about digital citizenship.
- When you record a video be clear about: the cause and what you're asking your friends to do.
- If in doubt, opt out. Remind everyone that they always have a choice to opt out and not participate. We're encouraging giving into peer pressure when we don't make up our minds and decide what we're doing.
The type of society we inherit tomorrow will be determined by how we discuss this sort of thing today. While I think this is a great cause, there will be a time that someone creates a funny viral challenge for a ridiculous or harmful program. If in doubt, opt out.
And yes, I did it.
Never miss an episode
Get the 10-minute Teacher Show delivered to your inbox.