No joke. You have some time off. I’m asking you to:
- Take one blog post during the season to call awareness to human trafficking
- Make least one tweet or Facebook status update a day to stop human sex slavery and trafficking. (Schedule them with hootsuite, tweetdeck to the hashtag #endslavery) Share facts, figures, ask for donations.
- Make a small donation to the anti-human trafficking organization of your choice and tell everyone which organization you donated to in your post. (I am donating to Street Grace, an organization in Atlanta but you investigate and choose the cause of your choice. Please do this before you write your post, I did. The amount is not necessary. Just do it.)
- 12 million people in the world are held in slavery other sites like dosomething.org say this number is closer to 27 million. One is too many.
- The cost of the average slave is $90.
- 80% of trafficking involves sexual exploitation and 19% is labor exploitation
- Half of trafficking victims are under 18.
- the Trafficking in persons report 2011 over 2 million children are held in the child sex trade as slaves
What you can’t do:
- You can’t go back in time and stand up against Hitler killing the Jews in Nazi Germany.
- You cannot go back in time and stand against slavery during the US Civil War.
- You cannot go back in time and right the wrongs of the segregation.
Those causes were for another place and people living in another time.
You can take up THIS cause as your gift to the world this season.
Don’t blame God if you’re not willing to give, tweet, or bring awareness to this problem. I believe we are His Hands and feet but whatever you believe, if you aren’t willing to do anything don’t sit there in shock and awe bemoaning the sorry state of the world. You don’t think it is in America, think again, read this week’s article in the LA Times, Once an Egyptian Girl Held in Slavery, Now an American Citizen.
If the world is in a sorry state it is because we sit back and don’t do something about it. We can’t do everything but we can do something. I know that we all have our causes. I work for a nonprofit (our school) and run one (the Flat Classroom Conference and Digiteen) but I’d like you to take this season to end slavery.
Will you help #endslavery and take a small part of your time this Christmas season to not only wish for peace on earth but do something about it?
Time is short. Let’s use what we have to leave this world a better place.
I am an abolitionist – are you?
Merry Christmas #endslavery
A Note: If anyone wastes their time this season being unkind to another blogger when we could help the world, I’m sorry for that person. We have things to do to make the world a better place. I hope bloggers from all walks will take up this season to #endslavery. We teach more with our actions than we ever could with our words.
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.
Tips for minimizing teacher stress
- Discover 10 stress-busting secrets for healthy teachers. What simple routines will help you handle the stress?
- Simple advice for coping with stress at work.
- Learn tips to help you deal with difficult colleagues and students (even those who "hate" you -- yes it is possible!)