Have you ever had a moment when your life changed? Perhaps it was a comment or it was a moment and although it may not have seemed to be anything to others around you, you experienced a seismic shift in how you viewed yourself. Dr. Michael Rousell studies these moments and relates them to neuroscience. Today he shares the surprising science behind the commonalities in these life-changing moments. As teachers, we hope to be part of these moments.
You could say these small but very epic life-changing moments are the seconds that could take years of relationship building and effort to cultivate and then, light a bolt of lightning – it happens – and a child is transformed for the good. You'll want to learn to understand these moments as a teacher. This is one of those episodes to share and discuss due to the exciting impacts it can have in the life of children.
Listen to Dr. Michael Rousell talk about life-changing moments
- Listen to the show on iTunes or Stitcher
- Stream by clicking here.
Subscribe to the Show
Get Credit! Some schools, districts, and organizations allow credit for listening to podcasts. Whether they do or don't, to get the most out of listening you can use this Podcast PD Template Hyperdoc. Just make a copy and adapt it for your use or print it. If you don't have Google Docs, just use this PDF.
Show Notes about Surprising Moments
- Most moments that transformed people were in moments that surprised people.
- Flattery doesn't work and seems to be “empty calories for kids. “
- When you deliver a comment, make it declarative so it doesn't sound empty.
- Learn how to share comments in a way that can transform how a child views him or herself.
- What is a surprise from a neuroscience perspective and how does it help children change their views?
- How to pain struggles in the landscape of life.
Michael Rousell, Ph.D. – Bio as Submitted
I’m a teacher, associate professor, psychologist, and author. I taught at the elementary, middle, and high school levels. As an academic, I study formative moments, those events that instantly change what you believe about yourself.
My next book is titled, The Power of Surprise: How Our Brain Secretly Changes Our Beliefs, (not yet published).
My slogan: Whoever learns the most wins. You can see my recent TEDxSalem talk at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5O6mFWpgZo
Never miss an episode
Get the 10-minute Teacher Show delivered to your inbox.