Today Karen McCallum is a special ed elementary teacher in Alberta, Canada. She has specialized in special education and behavior support programming. Today she tells a heartwarming but powerful story about how two puppets are helping transform the social emotional learning of elementary special needs kids.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download this episode to listen offline by right-clicking here and choosing “Save As.”
In today’s show, we’ll discuss:
- How she decided to use puppets to reach a nonverbal student
- Modeling appropriate and inappropriate behaviors
- How 15 minutes a day with the puppets can transform behavior
- Calming special needs kids using puppets
- Some funny and powerful stories of using Matts and Penny to help kids learn appropriate behaviors
I hope you enjoy this episode with Karen!
Selected Links from this Episode
I am a elementary vice principal and kindergarten teacher in Okotoks, Alberta. I am in my 33rd year of teaching. My entire career has been in the primary area. I have my Master’s degree in Special Education and have spent half of my career working in special education and behavior support programming.