We know we have to update our apps on our smartphone or tablet to fix bugs and add current enhancements. It is what we do when we want to (usually) get the best out of our device.
Update Your thinking and Update Your Life
We need to update our thinking and habits too. So we can fix things that don’t work or improve things that already do. It is what we do when we want to get the best out of our life.
Yesterday as I talked to my 9th graders about life, we talked about the average lifespan and agreed – let’s use 80 years as a round number. I asked – what percentage of your life is the next 4 years. 5% – if we’re lucky. So, can we wait to live our lives until after high school: no. (My life, by this calculation is 52.5% over!!! I’d better get busy.)
The decision to not make decisions or set goals is also a decision.
You are what you think.
One of the best ways to update your life and your thinking is to listen to inspirational, informative “radio shows” or as we call them now, podcasts. We call it a podcast, typically if it is an mp3 or audio-only and a vodcast if it is using video, but now most people just call all of it podcasts.
Use a Podcast Catcher
iCatcher lets you type in the podcast and is very good at finding the feed and adding it to your list. You can create playlists as well for different times, like listening in the car, your chore time or washing dishes. It can take a bit to update and you do have to launch the app for it to update, but I use iCatcher EVERY day. (I know other people that like Downcast instead.)
I use iCatcher my iPhone (for audio) and iPad (for video) to catch and update the current podcasts. I love the 1 minute podcasts because I can have a playlist and listen to 5 different things on my five minute drive home.
The easiest way to add these is to look them up in iCatcher to find the podcast. I’ve included my screens so you can get some ideas but, by all means find your own based upon your personal interests and goals.
Some of my favorites include:
- FAVORITE must listen to podcast every week is iPad Today because they talk about more than just iPads and it is a great show.
- I also listen to this Week in Tech and
- Tech News Today for an overview of technology news.
- Moving at the Speed of Creativity Podcasts (with Wesley Fryer)
Video Podcasts (sometimes called Vodcasts)
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.
Tips for minimizing teacher stress
- Discover 10 stress-busting secrets for healthy teachers. What simple routines will help you handle the stress?
- Simple advice for coping with stress at work.
- Learn tips to help you deal with difficult colleagues and students (even those who "hate" you -- yes it is possible!)