You can gamify your classroom. It isn't hard. Sixth-grade teacher Jessica Gordon@1337teach gives us tips, ideas, and links for how to gamify our classrooms now. Game based learning can be simple and free.
- Listen on iTunes
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download this episode as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “Save As.”
Today's FREEBIE! Today only, February 17, to celebrate Random Acts of Kindness Day, Jessica is having her own random act of kindness to 10-MT listeners by giving away the Kindle version of her book free on the US Amazon Kindle store!”It's a Teacher Thing! FAQ Guide and Reflective Journal for New Teachers” is currently available in eBook and paperback through Amazon Kindle. Visit — and it is free today on Kindle in the US Amazon store! Enjoy and thank you, Jessica!
Jessica Gordon , 6th grade teacher from Missouri gives us simple tips to gamify our classrooms. Jessica Ratliff-Gordon is an elementary educator, author, and doctoral student at Northcentral University. Currently, she serves as a sixth-grade geography teacher for the Poplar Bluff School District as well as a Project Manager for Hilton Publishing.
In today's show, we'll discuss:
- 5 cool tools: Wheel Decide, Breakout Facebook groups, challenges, some awesome quizzing tools (see links below)
- Simple tips on making any lesson more fun
- The big mistake many educators make when working to gamify their classroom
I hope you enjoy this episode with Jessica !
Want to hear another episode on game based learning? Listen to Michael Matera, teacher and author of Explore Like a Pirate, share ideas for using games in your classroom. See the full list of shows.
Selected Links from this Episode
- Jessica sent us a Gamification presentation on Smore with helpful links and resources to help gamify your classroom! Visit https://www.smore.com/174cz .
- Wheel Decide – http://wheeldecide.com/
- Jessica's Class Reward Spinner – http://cctea.ch/10mt-gordon-spinner
- Jessica's Review Game Spinner – http://cctea.ch/10mt-gordon-review-game
- Cranium – http://amzn.to/2kFjIzy
- Pictionary – http://amzn.to/2kwBs4Y
- Play Dough – http://amzn.to/2kFhBvz
- Breakout Classroom Facebook Group – https://www.facebook.com/groups/breakoutedu/
Editor's Note: See the 10MT Interview with Breakout EDU cofounder Adam Bellow for more on BreakoutEDU and Breakout Classrooms
- Free Escape Classroom Workshop – https://www.theescapeclassroom.com/free-workshop
- Free Zombie Apocalypse Breakout Geography Game – https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5SZfjOmWYSPY21EbVRMRUp3UVU/view
- Purpose Games – http://www.purposegames.com/game/continents-and-oceans-quiz
- Landforms Quizlet – https://quizlet.com/28326296/landforms-flash-cards/
- Kahoot https://getkahoot.com/
- Quizziz – https://quizizz.com/
- Classcraft – https://game.classcraft.com/share/wDGcv6FpAWAyrrBhe (This link gets you 2 free months of premium classcraft.)
DOWNLOAD TRANSCRIPT #15 Jessica Gordon and Adding Games to Your Classroom
This post is being added to the more than 100 resources in my Epic Guide to Game Based Learning. You might also be interested in a tool I use to quickly create games that I blogged about yesterday.
Jessica Ratliff-Gordon is an elementary educator, author, and doctoral student at Northcentral University. Born in St. Louis, Missouri, she first began her teaching career at Buder Elementary within the St. Louis Public School District. Currently, she serves as a sixth-grade geography teacher for the Poplar Bluff School District as well as a Project Manager for Hilton Publishing. For more information about the author and her current publications follow her on Twitter @1337teach, Goodreads, or search for seller “1337 Teacher” on Teachers Pay Teachers.
Some links in this post are affiliate links.
Never miss an episode
Get the 10-minute Teacher Show delivered to your inbox.
Downloading It’s a Teacher Thing! FAQ Guide and Reflective Journal for New Teachers now! Thanks!
Thanks, it’s very interesting. Making lessons more fun it’s good idea, but it is necessary to know a limit of course:) I think challenges is the best way to do it!