Parent involvement matters! We know it but do we realize we're talking up to a full point of a student's GPA? Let's look at some well-known research showing what kind of parent involvement matters most. Today's guest, Dr. William Jeynes authored one of the most comprehensive studies to date. He analyzed the grades of 300,000 students and the behavior of their parents. He discovered what really impacts student learning as it relates to parents. Amazing!
From 3/4 of a point to a full point of a student's GPA is impacted by parental involvement. (That's almost a whole GRADE LETTER!) It wasn't just any parental involvement but a specific kind.
Today's episode is a must listen for PTA's and schools who are working with parents to help their kids do their best. This is a show you must share with parents. Don't just guess about what works, know what works. (You can use some the quotes from this show with your parents on social media. Scroll down to take the pics. You have permission to use them anywhere.)
- The number one parenting aspect improving how students perform.
- The incredible importance of reading and parent involvement.
- The kind of communication that hurts students the most.
- What kind of parental involvement programs work?
- The shocking lesson Dr. Jeynes learned about what is wrong in schools when a child was hit in the head with a baseball bat. (I am not kidding!)
Dr. Jeynes makes the parent research simple. Anyone can understand his explanation on the show. I've included the research below for those of you who want to read it.
- Dr. William Jeynes' Meta Research on Parent Involvement
- Contact Dr. William Jeynes
- @BloomzApp – our show's sponsor
Use these graphics to share with parents
Tips for minimizing teacher stress
- Discover 10 stress-busting secrets for healthy teachers. What simple routines will help you handle the stress?
- Simple advice for coping with stress at work.
- Learn tips to help you deal with difficult colleagues and students (even those who "hate" you -- yes it is possible!)