Assessments should cover what is taught and address important learning goals. Thomas Guskey reflects today on what makes a good assessment. He also shares the four kinds of data that are most valuable to teachers in year-end assessment. This is a must listen for any educator working with assessment.
Thomas shares the problems with many of today's assessments. You'll rethink how you look at assessments and data after listening to this thought-provoking show.
Thank you, Fresh Grade, Today's sponsor
If you go to Fresh Grade’s site, you’ll also get a bonus episode with Todd Finley about “The Biggest Mistake Teachers Make When Giving Their End of the Year Grade.”
- How should we measure assessments to make sure they are good and fair?
- How are states assessing rigor between schools? What do teachers need to do in this case?
- Why are tests that are a “surprise” to teachers are unfair to both teachers and kids?
- What is an “instructionally insensitive” test (like the SAT or ACT)? How should teachers and principals should consider an instructionally insensitive test?
- What are the keys to effective assessment?
- What are the four kinds of data that are valuable to teachers in year-end assessment?
- What is the best use of year-end assessment data?
- What are two ways to use preassessment as you start the school year? Is preassessment fair? How should we re-think preassessment?
- Why should we consider assessing prerequisites instead of preassessment?
- Why should we consider giving year-end test data to the next year's teacher? What are the obstacles that keep us from doing this now?
Who is Thomas Guskey?
Thomas Guskey is Professor of Educational Psychology in the College of Education at the University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky. His research focuses on on professional development and teacher change, program evaluation, assessment of student learning, grading and reporting, instructional effectiveness, and educational reform. @tguskey
He recorded a previous show, Fair Grades, Dropping Grades, Grading Versus Knowledge, that is one of our most popular of 2016.