I’m sick and tired of excuses. Everyone makes them but the biggest, most obnoxious dumbest excuse we’ve adopted is “we have to prepare kids for THE TEST.” Sure the test has become a reality. But with so many people seeing the schools KILL THE LOVE OF LEARNING so we can help kids memorize rote facts for a TEST — why isn’t more happening to CHANGE THINGS? Schools know we can do better but why do schools still do the same old things that didn’t work last time? Parents see it too! Two thirds of US parents agreeing that there’s too much emphasis on testing. It is time to shift.
Essential Questions: Uncommon Learning: Creating Schools that Work for Kids
- What DOESN’T work in education?
- How can we let go of control and still prepare kids for life?
- How we should evaluate our schools?
- What is it going to take to help schools focus on learning and not testing?
- How do you help teachers who refuse to learn new things or are so burnt out and tired they don’t want to join informal learning?
Educator Resources from this Episode
- Eric Sheninger’s new book: Uncommon Learning: Creating Schools that Work for Kids
Tips for minimizing teacher stress
- Discover 10 stress-busting secrets for healthy teachers. What simple routines will help you handle the stress?
- Simple advice for coping with stress at work.
- Learn tips to help you deal with difficult colleagues and students (even those who "hate" you -- yes it is possible!)