I'm sick and tired of excuses. Everyone makes them but the biggest, most obnoxious dumbest excuse we've adopted is “we have to prepare kids for THE TEST.” Sure the test has become a reality. But with so many people seeing the schools KILL THE LOVE OF LEARNING so we can help kids memorize rote facts for a TEST — why isn't more happening to CHANGE THINGS? Schools know we can do better but why do schools still do the same old things that didn't work last time? Parents see it too! Two thirds of US parents agreeing that there's too much emphasis on testing. It is time to shift.
Essential Questions: Uncommon Learning: Creating Schools that Work for Kids
- What DOESN'T work in education?
- How can we let go of control and still prepare kids for life?
- How we should evaluate our schools?
- What is it going to take to help schools focus on learning and not testing?
- How do you help teachers who refuse to learn new things or are so burnt out and tired they don't want to join informal learning?
[callout]When society looks back on us in a hundred years will we be seen as a people who did what is right even though it is hard? Or will we be seen as a people who make excuses to do the wrong thing because we're tired? May it not be! Change is hard but it is for our kids. It is worth it! Keep them the center! Focus on learning! We can all level up learning! [/callout]
Educator Resources from this Episode
- Eric Sheninger's new book: Uncommon Learning: Creating Schools that Work for Kids
[button href=”https://www.facebook.com/groups/everyclassroommatters” primary=”false” centered=”true” newwindow=”true”]Join the Every Classroom Matters Awesome Educators Network on Facebook[/button]
Never miss an episode
Get the 10-minute Teacher Show delivered to your inbox.