How much time on devices is too much time? Should kids put up their smartphones and talk to each other and parents sometimes? Are we using technology too much as parents?
Today, for Thought Leader Thursday, Weston KieschnickWeston Kieschnick @wes_kieschnick and I have a conversation about digital parenting. There aren’t easy answers but one thing is sure, we won’t find answers without having the hard conversations.
This episode, blog, and webinar are sponsored by Bloomz, my favorite tool for parent communication. They are sponsoring April’s free webinar, 5 Habits to Start Now to Thrive in the Fall. You don’t have to give up your summer to prepare. Learn what I do now to make the fall even more wonderful!
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download this episode to listen offline by right-clicking here and choosing “Save As.”
Subscribe or rate the show by clicking the button for iTunes or Stitcher
In today’s show, we’ll discuss:
- Digital overuse and digital deserts and the need for balance
- The dangers of letting kids have devices during time for sleep
- The challenges faced by parents in today’s digital age
- Questions for parents to consider about moderation
- Experiences and observations about digital overuse and misuse
I hope you enjoy this episode with Weston!
Selected Links from this Episode
- The article I wrote for Edutopia that I referred to in the show: The Insanity of the New Humanity: Put Up the Cell Phone and Be There
- Teens who take their phones to bed are twice as likely to be sleep deprived – Cell Phone Addicts Most Sleep Deprived in Sleep Review: The Journal for Sleep Specialists
- Sleep Problems Have the Same Affect on Students’ Grades as Drug Abuse, New Study Finds – PBS News Hour
- Scary Ways Technology Affects Your Sleep Sleep.org
- How to Turn Blue Light Off on Your Phone and iPad – a quick tutorial
- Study: Teen cell phone use at bedtime leads to insomnia, poor performance in school
- George Lucas Hasn’t Been on the Internet in 15 years: not email even (written in 2015)
- The World is Flat v 3.0 by Thomas Friedman
- 5 Things You Can Do Now to Thrive in the Fall – Free webinar Thursday, April 27 at 6pm EDT
Weston Kieschnick is a Senior Fellow at the International Center for Leadership in Education. His thought leadership around blended pedagogy has been published in Education Week, Ed-Tech Magazine, and The Learning Transformation: A Guide to Blended Learning for Administrators.
He also created and hosts Teaching Keating, an acclaimed podcast where pop-culture and pedagogy collide.
Mr. Kieschnick has worked with teachers and school leaders from every state in the US and more than 30 countries around the world. Districts where Weston provides keynotes, teacher development, and coaching have been recognized among the top ten in the country for their work in educational technology. During his tenure in education, Weston has served as an award-winning Teacher, Assistant Principal, and District Level Administrator. Weston resides in Colorado with his wife Molly and his children, Everett and Charlotte.