Picking the wrong technology tool can unleash a nightmare. Don't think it can't happen to you.
If you look over the shoulder of one of Gord Holden's 10,000 students, it looks like they are playing a video game. They are not. They are learning. They are safe, too. Let's dig into Gord's three things about digital citizenship that every teacher should know.
Show Notes – Things Every Teacher Should Know about Digital Citizenship:
- A simple explanation to parents about Internet safety.
- Why some online spaces are like “Lord of the Flies” and what to do about it.
- How to use 3D worlds to help autistic spectrum students interact in real life.
- Teaching French, Science, and Democracy in a 3D world. (great stories!)
- Nightmare things that have happened when teachers pick the wrong tool! (Oh my!)
Today's Sponsor: Netsmartz Free “Teaching Digital Citizenship” Course
What is stopping you? Every school and teacher should take the time to go through the Netsmartz course this summer. Just enroll here:www.netsmartz.org/training.
About Gord Holden
Gord Holden @GordHolden has been working in education for 35 years, beginning with using early Apples with Special Education students. He was recruited by Heritage Christian Online School 5 years ago to be the founder and Director of their Immersive Technology (IMT) Department. IMT currently has 12 staff and close to 200 students participating.
Tips for minimizing teacher stress
- Discover 10 stress-busting secrets for healthy teachers. What simple routines will help you handle the stress?
- Simple advice for coping with stress at work.
- Learn tips to help you deal with difficult colleagues and students (even those who "hate" you -- yes it is possible!)