Flat Classroom K-2 project ‘Building Bridges to Tomorrow’
Press release, February 7, 2012
Announcing, the Flat Classroom K-2 ‘Building Bridges to Tomorrow’ Project! Co-founders of Flat Classroom, Julie Lindsay and Vicki Davis, are excited to be able to offer this global collaborative project to classrooms around the world. This project will run as a pilot for the coming semester, March-April 2012 and be open to Prep/Kindergarten, Grade 1, and Grade 2 classrooms (4-7 year old students).
Can very young students effectively connect, communicate, and collaborate in a global project? What does this look like? What products can students in mixed classroom teams co-create? What activities and structure can we design and implement to scaffold this collaboration? There are many wonderful opportunities out there already for students to connect using technology tools. However the aim in this project is also to encourage students in different places to collaborate, not just communicate, and to enhance understanding of cultures and life styles beyond the immediate environment.
We invite teachers who believe global collaboration has a place in their classroom. We invite those who want to improve digital citizenship and cultural understanding, leading to global competency amongst students and teachers. We invite teachers who have some digital fluency and access to digital tools who want to use them in meaningful ways to connect with others and learn together.
The ‘Building Bridges to Tomorrow’ call for applications is open now! Classrooms will be selected for the pilot and announced before the end of February. Following a teacher kick-off meeting, classrooms will work collaboratively through March and April with final products and celebrations taking place late April and into May.
We are looking for teachers who are creative and able to work collaboratively to help us build a meaningful experience for the classrooms and the wider school communities. Apply now!
‘Building Bridges to Tomorrow’ is part of the series of Flat Classroom Projects created by Julie Lindsay and Vicki Davis. Find out more from the Flat Classroom website, and from our recently released book, “Flattening Classrooms, Engaging Minds: Move to Global Collaboration One Step at a Time”.
Application Form for Building Bridges to Tomorrow: http://tinyurl.com/flatclassK-
Flat Classroom Projects: http://flatclassroomproject.
Flat Classrooms Teacher Network: http://flatclassrooms.ning.com
Contact us: [email protected]
Directors, Vick Davis and Julie Lindsay
For more about the pedagogy and benefits of adding global collaboration to your curriculum, buy Julie and Vicki’s book Flattening Classrooms, Engaging Minds from Pearson Publishing. www.flatclassroombook.com
- Join the Flat Classroom Global Book Club! #flatclass (coolcatteacher.blogspot.com)
- Elearning and global competency #flatclass #globaled 02/07/2012 (coolcatteacher.blogspot.com)
- Eracism Project Forming now: Applications Open (coolcatteacher.blogspot.com)
- Going Global: Getting Back in the Game by @engagined (coolcatteacher.blogspot.com)
- Flat Classroom Projects: Applications Open Now (coolcatteacher.blogspot.com)
- Global Education – When Hard Work Pays Off (coalcrackerclassroom.wordpress.com)
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.
Tips for minimizing teacher stress
- Discover 10 stress-busting secrets for healthy teachers. What simple routines will help you handle the stress?
- Simple advice for coping with stress at work.
- Learn tips to help you deal with difficult colleagues and students (even those who "hate" you -- yes it is possible!)