In this episode, Dr. Brad Johnson joins Vicki to talk about improving teacher talents, proven ways to engage students and student leadership. Brad says if we follow this approach we can help teachers be six times more engaged in teaching and have a three times better quality of life.
- Brad shares what you have to have from teachers before you can get students engaged.
- Students need a reason to want to come to school. ECM Awesome Educators – this is why YOU are so important in your classroom. YOU make all the difference in the lives of your students, but we need to know how to look at them differently, as Brad shares.
I love Brad's formula for student success! (I made it into a pinnable image for you at the bottom of the show notes.)
- Brad's book What Schools Don't Teach: 20 Ways to Help Students Excel in School and Life includes the compelling research he cites on the show.
- Gallup Poll About Student Engagement. This poll of more than 300,00 students included the statistic on student engagement that I shared in the show.
- Richard Spencer is the dancing science teacher I mentioned in our teacher strengths discussion.
- Staples. Staples has everything a teacher needs for Back to School. Remember to check out the Teacher Rewards Program. Join the Teacher Rewards program and check out my Top 10 School Supplies to buy at Staples.
What Teachers Say
A listener from Maryland, Jeanne Mayo posted on Facebook about finding the strengths of teachers too:
Great show… Not only will I try to discover the strengths of each student but staff member too. This can certainly apply to professional development.
Tips for minimizing teacher stress
- Discover 10 stress-busting secrets for healthy teachers. What simple routines will help you handle the stress?
- Simple advice for coping with stress at work.
- Learn tips to help you deal with difficult colleagues and students (even those who "hate" you -- yes it is possible!)