How do you fill your students with wonder? How do you help kids love animals? How do you engage students in science? Carmelo the Science Fellow (who is also a principal) shares his fun-tastic ideas for science and getting kids excited in this episode.
- The unbelievable thing he puts IN his walls.
- How he got students excited about science his first day of teaching.
- Now that he's a principal, what happened when he put his desk in the welcome area.
Carmelo the Science Fellow has cool science ideas but also exciting ideas for teaching. I found myself inspired with his can-do attitude and any means necessary methods of teaching. But his work is also grounded in the science research that we quoted in the show (referenced below). We can no longer PowerPoint kids into boredom in the science classroom. We can do better. Here's how.
Educator Resources from this Show
- BOOK: Crazy for Science with Carmelo the Science Fellow
- VIDEO: Carmelo's Teaching Methods
- Research: Making Science Classes Engaging
- National Science Teachers Association (NSTA): Position Statement on Hands on Learning
[button href=”https://www.facebook.com/groups/everyclassroommatters” primary=”false” centered=”true” newwindow=”true”]Join the Every Classroom Matters Awesome Educators Network on Facebook[/button]
[callout]You can subscribe to the podcast on iTunes or elsewhere, get the RSS feed, or listen via the media player above. [/callout]
Never miss an episode
Get the 10-minute Teacher Show delivered to your inbox.