How do you fill your students with wonder? How do you help kids love animals? How do you engage students in science? Carmelo the Science Fellow (who is also a principal) shares his fun-tastic ideas for science and getting kids excited in this episode.
- The unbelievable thing he puts IN his walls.
- How he got students excited about science his first day of teaching.
- Now that he's a principal, what happened when he put his desk in the welcome area.
Carmelo the Science Fellow has cool science ideas but also exciting ideas for teaching. I found myself inspired with his can-do attitude and any means necessary methods of teaching. But his work is also grounded in the science research that we quoted in the show (referenced below). We can no longer PowerPoint kids into boredom in the science classroom. We can do better. Here's how.
Educator Resources from this Show
- BOOK: Crazy for Science with Carmelo the Science Fellow
- VIDEO: Carmelo's Teaching Methods
- Research: Making Science Classes Engaging
- National Science Teachers Association (NSTA): Position Statement on Hands on Learning
Tips for minimizing teacher stress
- Discover 10 stress-busting secrets for healthy teachers. What simple routines will help you handle the stress?
- Simple advice for coping with stress at work.
- Learn tips to help you deal with difficult colleagues and students (even those who "hate" you -- yes it is possible!)