In this episode, the inventor of Iron Chef lesson plans, Jon Corippo shares with Vicki his remix of the jigsaw cooperative learning method. Iron Chef Lesson Plans with American Idol peer feedback may just be your favorite new cooperative learning method. (You can't make this stuff up! 😉)
Important Takeaways for Listeners on Iron Chef Lesson Plans
- John opens the show by denouncing a mode of teaching used by many that exasperates him and bores students.
- He critiques traditional jigsaw methods.
- The “secret ingredient” idea can help you link together the presentation.
- Jon giveds examples of Iron Chef lesson plans with history, science, literature, math, grammar, and how to add spice to book reports.
- How do you fully engage students who work quickly?
- How can you grade easily?
- How do you supercharge peer feedback?
- How can you use this to help kids appreciate each other's strengths?
- What are other ways teachers get kids excited about learning?
- How can you incorporate formative assessment?
- How to make the top 20 Grammar errors exciting with Iron Chef lesson design.
This Iron Chef episode is for all of you out there using cooperative learning, Chromebooks or Google Apps for Education. You can also use this method with Office 365, Keynote, and Prezi. Scroll down for a great quote to pin.
Free Educator Resources: Iron Chef Lesson Plans
- As he shares on the show, Jon's students use Google Presentations.
- The research tool that Jon mentions makes researching topics quick and easy inside all Google apps.
- Jon's Iron Chef Lesson Design Website is where I got the templates we talked about on the show.
What Teachers Say
Listener, Leslie Ihrig (5th-grade teacher) says,
“I've used this with literature and social studies. Works great. In addition to adding excitement to the lesson, kids are meeting presentation standards.”
See Leslie's Jigsaw on forming a new nation in the US.
Thanks to my Facebook friends for pointing out:
- Teacher Laurie Anastasio‘s use of Iron Chef Lesson Design with her second graders as they learned about Geometry and Plane Figures.
- Jamie Smith's Iron Chef Lesson Design with Literary terms for use with grades 4-12. [PDF]
Want to talk about Iron Chef Lesson Design?
Tips for minimizing teacher stress
- Discover 10 stress-busting secrets for healthy teachers. What simple routines will help you handle the stress?
- Simple advice for coping with stress at work.
- Learn tips to help you deal with difficult colleagues and students (even those who "hate" you -- yes it is possible!)