Language teachers have the daunting task of helping students memorize so many words! How can it be fun? How can you help students learn them faster? Jason Levine uses hip hop in his language education classes. Surprisingly, he teaches teachers (even those, like me, with no rhythm) to use hip hop in their language education classes too.
Essential Questions: Hip Hop Language Education: Using Rap to Teach, Really?
- Why do hip hop and language education work together?
- Can you use hip hop if you're a language teacher who can't rap at all?
- How can any teacher facilitate hip hop activities with language?
- How can teachers make the repetitive practice of language EXCITING?
- What are the 3 R's of Language Learning?
Combining hip hop and language education is a masterful use of both of these. So, you're not comfortable with this — you CAN use someone else's videos. Jason raps on the show and I think that perhaps I could even do it (although I wouldn't sound as cool.) Have an open mind, language teachers, to move away from flash cards and towards music.
Educator Resources from this Episode
Tips for minimizing teacher stress
- Discover 10 stress-busting secrets for healthy teachers. What simple routines will help you handle the stress?
- Simple advice for coping with stress at work.
- Learn tips to help you deal with difficult colleagues and students (even those who "hate" you -- yes it is possible!)