Google Classroom allows teachers to easily manage student work and teaching with Google Docs, Google Forms, Google Spreadsheets and anything Google. This handy tool has opened up the doors of blended learning and collaborative classrooms like never before. Teachers wanting to implement Google Classroom can use these resources to get started, level up their learning, or become a pro at all things Google.Post updated: April 2, 2022
But there are so many sites! I've spent several weeks combing through resources and have picked some of my favorites. What are yours?
Google Classroom and GSuite Resources
The Google Classroom Bootcamp Due Demo that I recorded with Alice Keeler in March 2020 is an excellent overview of what the student and then the teacher side of Google Classroom look like. I highly suggest it if you're getting started with Google Classroom because it shows you both sides of assigning and submitting assignments.
Google Classroom Tutorials for Students and Parents – added 4/2/2022
- Playlist Tutorial
- How Students Can Find Their work on Google Classroom
- How to Mark Work As Done
- How to Create a Google Doc to Go with An Assignment
- How to Make Sure You're Logged into Google Chrome Correctly
- How Parents Can Add Themselves as a Guardian
- How to Easily View Work
Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides Tutorials
Google Classroom for Teachers
- Google Meet Bandwidth Detector – 2022
- How to Use Google Meet for eLearning and online Learning – 2020 – Ditch that Textbook Matt Miller
- Create Google Meet Breakout Rooms in Advance -2021
TIP: The Keyword from Google has breaking announcements and information on Google Classroom.
- @GoogleforEDU on Twitter
- All of Alice Keeler's Google Classroom Blog Posts – She's really one of the experts and has separated it into beginner, intermediate and advanced.
- Kasey Bell's Google Classroom Resources at Shake Up Learning
- Eric Curt's Blog posts at Control Alt Achieve – these are helpful, innovative ideas.
- 30 Collaborative Google Apps Activities for Schools by Matt Miller – 2020
Interviews with Experts and Classroom Educators
- How to Get the Most Out of Google Apps Now with Eric Curts – 2021
- How to Get the Most out of Google's Digital Skills Curriculum with Victor Hicks – 2021
- Google Jamboard with Tom Mullaney – 2021
- Choose Your Own Adventure Professional Development with Laurie Guyon 2021
- How to Program and Use App Scripts inside Google with Alice Keeler 2021
- What's Hot (And Not) inside Google with Alice Keeler – 2020
- 3 Add On's to Solve 1 Problem with Michael Backus 2019
- Google Jamboard Intro 2018
- Kasey Bell's 8 Great Ways to Use Google Slides – 2018
- Google Masters for Kids of All Ages: Badges Skills and More with Lee Ann Yonker
- Simple Virtual Reality in the Classroom with Google Streetview and Google Cardboard with Donnie Piercey
- 10 Things Google Classroom Makes Easier – an Interview with Alice Keeler
- How to Use Google Keep in the Classroom with Crystal Koenig
- Cheaters: Google Apps Edition – Eric Curts walks through plagiarism prevention techniques
- 12 Great Ways to Use Google Drive in Education with Susan Oxnevad
- 5 Ideas to Amp Up Chromebooks with John Sowash
- How a School Saved Half their Classroom Setup Costs with Google Classroom and iPads with Kyle Taylor
- Google Classroom: Top New Features to Learn Over the Summer with Alice Keeler
- How to Use Google Keep in the Classroom with Crystal Koenig
- 23 Gsuite Ideas to Excite Your Students about Learning with Eric Curts
Tools to Help You Work with Google Classroom
Kasey Bell has a “Getting Started with Google Classroom” courses which are what I've taken. 2022
- A Google Classroom Symbaloo – Share this one with teachers who are getting started. They can make it their startup screen and test one thing a day.
- Google Apps/ GAFE Tutorials for Teachers – a massive site full of tutorials. Use and email these out as you have specific tasks for teachers to learn. For beginners
- Shake Up Learning Has some great resources like their Guide to Google Classroom Comments: All You Need to Know and How to Insert Super Cool Gifs into Presentations and Docs –
- Online Assessment with Google Forms – this document gives walkthroughs for Flubaroo and other tools to help you assess using Google Forms
- Flubaroo – help for grading online assessments
- Doctopus helps with management – while it does some things Google Classroom does, there are other features it manages too.
- There's also a Goobric web app launcher for Chrome.
- Use this Graphic for Students Turning in Work
- 10 Tools for Assessment for Google Apps on the iPad
- Google Classroom: Using the Rubric Tab to Assess Students
- Alice Keeler's Google Classroom Feedback Workflow
- Google Classroom and GeoGebra
- 60 Ways Math Teachers Can Use Google Classroom by Alice Keeler
- gMath for Forms – add math symbols to Google Forms
- 5 Ways Students Can Use Google Docs in Math
- gMath for Sheets – Lets you add formulas to Google Sheets
- Mathematical Equations – Up to Date Information from Google on using equations
- Google Classroom Part I – How 7th grade math teacher Sherrie Nackel organizes her files and assignments
Literature and Composition
- Voice Typing and Other Tools to Use with Google Docs
- Google Classroom: Using a Writing Journal
- 15 Best Google Drive Add-Ons for Education
- 5 Ways to Make Professional Looking Google Documents
- How to Add Google Drive to Microsoft Word
- How to Make Google Chrome Faster, Better and Prettier
- Helpful Google Search Modifiers Poster
- Google Docs Research Tool Removes the Drudgery from Presentations
- Google Research Tool by Tammy Worcester Tang
- Google Classroom Add-on for Chrome For beginners
- Google Lesson Plan Tool for Docs –
- Classroom Mobile App for Android and iOS
- Edusync app for Google Calendars
- Google Chrome Desktop Plugin lets you access another person's Chromebook or Chrome browser from your teacher computer (or vice versa)
- Share to Classroom lets you push web pages to your student browsers instantly. Helps get everyone on the same page quickly
- How to Add Google Drawings Comic Strips to Your Class with Matt Miller and Cori Orlando added 12/24/17
- 50 Things You Can Do with Google Classroom by Alice Keeler and Libbi Miller For beginners
- 50 Things to Go Further with Google Classroom: A Student Centered Approach by Alice Keeler and Libbi Miller
- Reinventing Writing by Vicki Davis – my book on Collaborative Writing
- The Chromebook Classroom by John Sowash
Google Classroom Research and White Papers
Brown, M. E., & Hocutt, D. L. (2015). Learning to use, useful for learning: a usability study of Google apps for education. Journal of Usability Studies,10(4), 160-181.
Dotson, K. B., & Clark, C. (2015). Together we can… Knowledge Quest,44(2), 8.
Izenstark, A., & Leahy, K. L. (2015). Google Classroom for Librarians: Features and Opportunities. Library Hi Tech News, 32(9), 1-3.
Johnson, C. H., Linahan, M., Cuba, A. F., Dickmann, S. R., Hogan, E. B., Karos, D. N., … & Ropinski, B. L. (2016, January). Google Classroom and Open Clusters: An Authentic Science Research Project for High School Students. In American Astronomical Society Meeting Abstracts (Vol. 227).
Kelly, L. B. (2015). ” You Can't Just Write an Essay in an Hour”: Supporting Middle Schoolers' Peer Feedback and Revision Process through Online Writing Groups. Voices From the Middle, 23(2), 81.
Phiri, L., Meinel, C., & Suleman, H. (2016). Streamlined Orchestration: An Orchestration Workbench Framework for Effective Teaching. Computers & Education.
Build Your Google Classroom PLN
Google Classroom Hashtags
- #gafechat is the first and third Tuesday of each month 8-9 pm CST
- #gafesummit – This is run by Edtechteam.com but many people share resources to this hashtag
Google Classroom Pinterest Boards
- Resources on Pinterest relating to Google Classroomhttps://www.pinterest.com/explore/google-classroom/
- Shake Up Learning has 155 guides and tutorials on Google Classroom: https://www.pinterest.com/ShakeUpLearning/google-classroom/
- Dianne Miller's Pinterest Board https://www.pinterest.com/1dimiller/google-classroom/
- Resources on Pinterest about Google Docs https://www.pinterest.com/explore/google-docs/
- Nadine Trinchero has 160+ resources on her Pinterest Board https://www.pinterest.com/ntrinchero/google-docs-in-the-classroom/
- Shake Up Learning has another board with lots of resources: https://www.pinterest.com/ShakeUpLearning/all-things-google/
Accounts Who Share About Google Classroom on Twitter
This is hard because there are so many who tweet about #gafe, but here a few.
- @GoogleforEdu – The official handle for everything Google in education
- @GAFEAcademy – the Google Apps for Education Academy
- @EdTechTeam – They do a lot of training classes for Google Apps
- @thegooglegooru – Has lots of tips for using Google
- @alicekeeler – She's an expert.
- @ericcurts – His Control Alt Achieve Blog is so helpful!
- Download the Gooru's Classroom Cards – you could print and share these at a staff meeting For beginners
80+ Google Classroom Tutorials from Richard Byrne
For beginners – a great playlist. Just click on the list and pick the video you need. Richard Byrne is someone I highly recommend!
Control Alt Achieve Playlist by Eric Curts
He has so many ideas for using Gsuite in the classroom, you'll love this playlist! Scroll through the 22 videos and learn! added 7/25/17
2017 Updated Guide to Google Classroom
50 Ways to Use Google Classroom
This video made by Jeffrey Bradbury and Alice Keeler is a fantastic hands-on entry into Google Classroom. added 7/25/17
Convert an Image to an Editable Doc
Google Docs in the Math Classroom by Daniel Kaufman
What is missing?
Please leave your suggestions in the comments.
Download a Free Sample of Jennifer Gonzalez's Technology for Teachers 2016
Here's a PDF with some favorite apps and new ones too. Thanks Jennifer Gonzalez for creating this freebie just for Cool Cat Teacher Readers.
This PDF includes Storybird, Kahoot, Google Drive, Formative and Trello. See if the Teacher's Guide to Tech is Right for You!