The Maker Movement is everywhere. What is it? How do you “do” it? What is the difference between “maker space” “creation station” “genius hour” and all of these other terms? How can you decide what to do in your own classroom? Here are a few essential resources for you:
Reading About the Movement
My research is summarized in these two articles I wrote for Edutopia:
How the Maker Movement is Moving Into Classrooms – This piece gives you an overview of the maker movement including some of the research behind it. It also defines the jargon that has many confused about WHAT it is. Then, it gives you some of my favorite books and ends with the impact on libraries. I also include a video I shot at the FabLab at Kentucky Country Day School this summer that is a must watch! (Inserted below.)
The DIY World of Maker Tools and Their Uses – TheIn this article, we dive into the many tools that are being used: 3D printers, Vinyl cutters, laser cutters, woodshop influences. Then we dive into many of the technological faves including the Hummingbird Robotics Kit, Arduino Boards, Raspberry Pi, Legos, Minecraft, and more. This is full of videos that I shot at ISTE as I explored.
Listening to Stories About the Maker Movement
There are several outstanding shows on the Maker movement for your listening.
- Learning by Doing: Inside the Maker Movement (Sylvia Martinez, coauthor of Invent to Learn)
- Why Playful Learning is Vital to Developing 21st Century Skills by Stephan Turnipseed, Chairman – Partnership for 21st Century Skills
- How Classrooms Change When Genius Drives Learning #geniushour – the four founders of genius hour talk about the movement – Joy Kirr @joykirr,, Hugh McDonald @hughtheteacher,, Gallit Zvi gallit_z,, Denise Krebs @mrsdkrebs
- Teaching Girls STEAM in Middle School with Vinnie Vrotney
- How 3D Printers Open New Possibilities for Project Based-Learning with Kelly Hines
Share Your Story
I'm making a makerspace in my own classroom. I hope you'll share your links, pics, and videos in the comments. I'd love to learn from you!
Tips for minimizing teacher stress
- Discover 10 stress-busting secrets for healthy teachers. What simple routines will help you handle the stress?
- Simple advice for coping with stress at work.
- Learn tips to help you deal with difficult colleagues and students (even those who "hate" you -- yes it is possible!)