In this uplifting episode, we're joined by Todd Nesloney, a seasoned educator and advocate for authentic leadership in schools. This conversation is a must-listen if you've ever questioned your worth or impact as an educator. Todd delves into the transformative power of vulnerability, the importance of emotional intelligence, and why every single person in a school setting is a leader in their own right—offering actionable insights that could reignite your passion for teaching.
Microsoft 's Free AI Course for Educators
Todd Nesloney is the Director of Culture and Strategic Leadership for the Texas Elementary Principals and Supervisors Association (TEPSA). He is also the Director of Get Your LEAD On (underneath the Get Your Teach On umbrella). He was previously a Principal/Lead Learner at a PreK-5 school in Texas. He is an award winning author for his books Kids Deserve It!, Stories From Webb, Sparks in the Dark, When Kids Lead and his newest book, In This Season: Words for the Heart. He has also published a children’s book, Spruce & Lucy. Todd has been recognized by John C. Maxwell as a Top 10 Finalist for the 2018 Transformational Leadership Award, by the White House as a Connected Educator “Champion of Change”, the National School Board Association as one of the “20 to Watch” in Education, the Center for Digital Education as one of their “Top 40 Innovators in Education”, the BAMMYs as the “National Elementary Principal of the Year” and the “National Elementary Teacher of the Year”, and the Texas Computer Education Association as their “Texas Elementary Teacher of the Year”.
Hosts, Guests & Featured People:
Summary of Show:
Introduction and Guest Background [00:00:00:02 – 00:00:37:23]
- Introduction of the podcast and today's guest, Todd Nesloney, who is the Director of Culture and Strategic Leadership for the Texas Elementary Principals and Supervisors Association. Todd has won many awards and authored several books.
The Concept of Leadership [00:00:38:00 – 00:02:43:09]
- Todd Nesloney discusses his belief that everyone is a leader in some capacity, whether at work, home, or among friends. Leadership is not confined to a job title but is expressed through actions, choices, and words.
The Importance of Vulnerability [00:02:43:09 – 00:04:52:11]
- Todd emphasizes the power of vulnerability as a leadership quality. He talks about how sharing personal struggles can inspire others and make them feel that their own struggles are important.
The Evolution of Beliefs [00:04:52:14 – 00:05:33:05]
- Todd shares how his beliefs have evolved over time, particularly with a chapter in his book “Kids Deserve It” that he now disagrees with. He stresses the importance of bringing your whole self to your job.
The Role of Emotions and Therapy [00:05:33:05 – 00:07:48:15]
- Todd talks about the impact of personal life on professional life and the importance of not minimizing your feelings. He also discusses the benefits of therapy in understanding oneself better.
The Value of Authenticity [00:07:48:20 – 00:08:50:12]
- Todd and Vicki discuss the importance of being authentic and true to oneself, both as an individual and as an educator. Todd emphasizes that everyone brings something unique to the table.
Closing Remarks [00:08:50:16 – 00:11:47:12]
- Todd gives a heartfelt message encouraging listeners to recognize their worth and the positive impact they can have on the world. The episode closes with information about a free AI course for educators from Microsoft and final remarks from the host.
Disclosure of Material Connection: This is a “sponsored podcast episode.” The company who sponsored it compensated me via a cash payment, gift, or something else of value to include a reference to their product. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I believe will be good for my readers and are from companies I can recommend. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Never miss an episode
Get the 10-minute Teacher Show delivered to your inbox.