App smashing is when you use two or more apps on a device to do something which one could not do alone. App Smashing inventor, Greg Kulowiec shares many examples on today’s show.
If you have iPads or other devices in your classroom and you limit students to only one app, you’re missing out. There’s an excitement that comes from pushing limits and inventing. App smashing will rock your classroom! Put it on a bulletin board! Teach kids how!
[tweetthis]The process of figuring out ways to combine new tools is as valuable as the final product. @gregkulowiec[/tweetthis]
While researching this phenomenon, I traced the origin of the term back to Greg Kulowiec’s 2013 blog post. App smashing can be as simple as snapping a picture, editing the pic in an app, and saving to your camera roll so you can edit in another app. If you’ve already done this — you’re already an app smasher.
You can make a cheap green screen. You can have a year long video project. You can share film. App smashing is so easy that any beginner can do it.
App Smashing Resources to Get You Started
- AppSmashing original post Feb 18, 2013 http://kulowiectech.blogspot.com/2013/02/app-smashing-part-i.html
- The Green Screen post Nov 2, 2013 http://kulowiectech.blogspot.com/2013/11/green-screen-appsmashing.html
- Collaborative Mashup Video X Ipads: http://kulowiectech.blogspot.com/2014/02/collaborative-mashup-video-x-ipads.html
- BookCreator – https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/book-creator-for-ipad-create/id442378070?mt=8
- Air Drop -> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203106
- Google Drive -> https://www.google.com/drive/
- Cloud Conduit -> http://www.conduit.com/
- iMovie -> http://www.apple.com/mac/imovie/
- Mix Light -> https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mix-by-camera360-design-your/id913947918?mt=8
- Elektor -> https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/elektor-electronic-toolbox/id339158729?mt=8
- Telegami Video Capture https://tellagami.com/
Question: What is one way that you smash apps together? You can leave a comment by clicking here.