Tom Murray reflects on his first 1:1 program seventeen years ago with Palm Pilots. He’s concerned that we often celebrate low-level learning. “Just because something is digital does not mean it is any good,” says Tom.
The 2019 Teacher’s Guide to Technology from Jennifer Gonzalez is here! I recommend this handy, useful encyclopedia of education technology tools. Learn more now.
He reveals the story about how he learned this important concept. Even though he taught a lesson with 100% engagement and the use of technology, Tom realized that he had failed. If we cannot learn this lesson, it is going to be difficult to progress with our use of technology.
Listen to Hear Ideas You Need to Know
- Learning Transformed: 8 Keys to Designing Tomorrow’s Schools, Today
- What is it that actually works with
edtech? (Prior show with Tom)
- Designing Inclusive Learning Spaces by Tom Murray
post Tomreferred to in the show: Stop Celebrating Low-Level Learning
- The 3D Printer Post Tom Discussed: No. Your 3D Printer Does Not Make You Innovative
Director of Innovation
Tom serves as the Director of Innovation for Future Ready Schools, a project of the Alliance for Excellent Education located in Washington, D.C.
He is also the co-author of ASCD’s best-selling Learning Transformed: 8 Keys to Designing Tomorrow’s Schools, Today.
Some of the links in this blog post are affiliate links. Regardless, I only recommend products that I would recommend anyway. There is no additional cost to you, however, if you do not wish to support this blog in such a way or want to support your local bookstore, I recommend that you do so.
Tips for minimizing teacher stress
- Discover 10 stress-busting secrets for healthy teachers. What simple routines will help you handle the stress?
- Simple advice for coping with stress at work.
- Learn tips to help you deal with difficult colleagues and students (even those who "hate" you -- yes it is possible!)