Augmented reality and virtual reality. Are these buzzwords or are they things that can be used to improve learning? Today Steven Anderson@web20classroom brings back the veil and helps us learn about these emerging technologies.
- Listen on iTunes
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download this episode to listen offline by right-clicking here and choosing “Save As.”
In today’s show, we’ll discuss:
- What is augmented reality? virtual reality?
- What are examples of how each are being used in the classroom?
- Are these technologies expensive to use?
- Which technology does Steven think will be the most helpful to classrooms?
- Are there any risks with these technologies? Costs?
I hope you enjoy this episode with Steve!
Selected Links from this Episode
Some of the links below are affiliate links.
- Twitter handle: @web20classroom
- Blog: www.web20classroom.org
- Yelp app https://www.yelp.com/mobile
- About Yelp Augmented Reality App http://www.wikihow.com/Use-the-Augmented-Reality-Monocle-on-the-Yelp-for-iPhone-App
- Augmented Reality Magazine Advertising https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8gOWqMWvCg
- Elements 4D periodic table app – http://elements4d.daqri.com/
- Pokemon Go http://www.pokemongo.com/
- Google Cardboard http://amzn.to/2moOSzb
- Ellis Island Google Cardboard Activity https://www.scholastic.com/teachers/activities/teaching-content/interactive-tour-ellis-island-immigration-activity/
- Samsung VR – http://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/gear-vr/
- Crayola augmented reality app – http://crayola.daqri.com/coloralive
- Aurasma – https://www.aurasma.com/
- Titans of space – https://unimersiv.com/review/titans-of-space/
- Tour Pyramids in VR – http://www.3dmekanlar.com/en/the-pyramids.html
- Sphero http://amzn.to/2n2Exui
- 6 Exciting Augmented Reality Apps by Monica Burns on Edutopia – https://www.edutopia.org/blog/ar-apps-for-student-learning-monica-burns
- Beyond the Hype; Ways to Think about Virtual Reality on Edsurge – https://www.edsurge.com/news/2017-02-07-beyond-the-hype-5-ways-to-think-about-virtual-and-augmented-reality-in-schools
- Google Cardboard Community – https://plus.google.com/communities/103070326999809122127
Steven W. Anderson is a learner, blogger, speaker, educational evangelist, author and Dad. As a former teacher and Director of Instructional Technology he is highly sought after for his expertise in educational technology integration and using social media for learning. As @web20classroom he regularly travels the country talking to schools and districts about the use of Social Media in the classroom and how they can better serve students through technology.
Steven has been a presenter and keynoter at several educational technology conferences, including ISTE, ASCD, TCEA, FETC, and VSTE as well as numerous state and local conferences.
He is the author of 3 books, The Relevant Educator: How Connectedness Empowers Learning, The Tech-Savvy Administrator and Content Curation: How To Avoid Information Overload.
He is also responsible in helping create #edchat, a weekly education discussion on Twitter that boasts over 500 weekly participants. Steven has been recognized with the the 2009 and 2011 Edublogs, Twitterer of The Year Award, a Microsoft Heros of Education award, along with a 2013 Bammy Award, recognized worldwide as the Educational Emmy, for his work with #edchat.
Tips for minimizing teacher stress
- Discover 10 stress-busting secrets for healthy teachers. What simple routines will help you handle the stress?
- Simple advice for coping with stress at work.
- Learn tips to help you deal with difficult colleagues and students (even those who "hate" you -- yes it is possible!)