When you see an accomplished educator like Alec Couros, it is easy to think that he’s always been this way. You might believe that he’s never made mistakes. You might think that everything was perfect from day one. In this conversation, Alec takes us through his educational journey and the truths he’s learned along each step.
As we listened to the show, Sylvia Duckworth and I jotted down six epic educational truths. (I put the epic in there, he wouldn’t, but I think you’ll agree, some of these insights are profound. Hat tip to Sylvia for her sketchnote below!) I appreciate Alec’s candor. I believe his journey as a teacher will inspire you like it has me.
Thank you VIF Learning Center, today’s sponsor.
Essential Questions: Alec Couros’ 6 Epic Truths About Education
- Did Alec immediately know he wanted to be a teacher?
- How do you recognize when a moment is important to a child?
- What is the problem with childhood today? How can adults help?
- What did Alec learn about learning as he led a MOOC with educators from more than 75 countries?
If we can help this generation of teachers joining our ranks persist instead of always being dissed, we might just find that many of them are great teachers who got off to a rough start. I appreciate Alec’[email protected]courosa transparency in today’s show. As he talked, I felt like yelling “Yes, That was me!”
The craftsmanship of teaching starts with another ship — relationship. We can do this. Bumps in the road don’t mean that the road isn’t worth traveling.
Tips for minimizing teacher stress
- Discover 10 stress-busting secrets for healthy teachers. What simple routines will help you handle the stress?
- Simple advice for coping with stress at work.
- Learn tips to help you deal with difficult colleagues and students (even those who "hate" you -- yes it is possible!)