Today Daisy Dyer Duerr @DaisyDyerDuerr reimagines what rural education can be. Rural education has a significant majority of perpetually impoverished counties in America. Additionally, only 55% of rural America has broadband access versus 94% of urban America. This digital divide and poverty create unique challenges. Daisy gives us five ideas to address them.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download this episode to listen offline by right-clicking here and choosing “Save As.”
In today's show, we'll discuss:
- Promoting more broadband access
- Helping schools no longer be engines of Exodus but places of opportunity
- The need for more rural education advocacy
- An example of a rural program from the Farm Bureau that is an exemplary idea we can use in education
- An idea for partnering with higher education to better understand the specific needs of rural education.
I hope you enjoy this episode with Daisy!
Selected Links from this Episode
- Twitter handle: @DaisyDyerDuerr
- Blog: http://www.daisydyerduerr.com
- Rural Broadband Stats: http://bigstory.ap.org/article/bd00ababdd344f69a27ab19c4964c6dd/technology-improving-%E2%80%93-why-rural-broadband-access-still
- Farm Bureau Rural Entrepreneurship Challenge
Daisy Dyer Duerr
Daisy Dyer Duerr, EdS
As the CEO of Redesigning Rural Education, LLC, Daisy is a National Keynote Speaker, Education Consultant, and Leadership Coach. She is an NASSP Digital Principal, and was a featured panelist & Principal of 1st rural school featured @ Digital Learning Day Live! (2015). Daisy spent her last 4 years in public education (2011-2015) as a “Turnaround Principal” of a Rural, Isolated, Pre-K-12 Public School.
She’s served as Principal of 2 Schools recognized as “Model Schools” by Dr. Daggett’s ICLE. Daisy testified in front of the FCC in Washington, D.C. as an advocate for Rural Broadband.
Daisy currently hosts “Totally Rural,” a National Podcast bringing attention to Rural Business and Education issues, promoting advocacy in across the rural American space. Daisy continues to be an advocate for ALL students in every ZIP CODE. She was named a Distinguished Alumnus of Lyon College in 2015 & also appeared on Arkansas Times’ “2015 Top 20 Innovators in Arkansas” list.
Tips for minimizing teacher stress
- Discover 10 stress-busting secrets for healthy teachers. What simple routines will help you handle the stress?
- Simple advice for coping with stress at work.
- Learn tips to help you deal with difficult colleagues and students (even those who "hate" you -- yes it is possible!)