Have you ever made the mistake of giving other people the kind of feedback you want to receive – but it just fell flat? For example, I'm a “word” kind of person and I can float on a compliment for days. However, some people I know are visual. Others like to hear a person's voice. Still, others really love graphics or video.
We all need to be excellent at giving quick and impactful feedback. Principal Meredith Akers uses many methods to encourage others.
Today you'll learn about five quick and memorable ways to make someone's day. Students, colleagues, teachers, and family will be impacted in positive ways if you try these ideas.
Meredith's goal is to give at least six genuine compliments a day. How about you? After you listen to the show, I hope you'll take the time to use at least one of them to encourage someone right now!
Subscribe to the Show
Get Credit! Some schools, districts, and organizations allow credit for listening to podcasts. Whether they do or don't, to get the most out of listening you can use this Podcast PD Template Hyperdoc. Just make a copy and adapt it for your use or print it. If you don't have Google Docs, just use this PDF.
Your Podcast PD Challenge
Use one of the ideas shared by Meredith in this show and encourage someone right now this moment!
- Adobe Spark Posts App – She puts their name big and then shares something great about a teacher or a child.
- Use your voice Voxer – She records a message to herself. In the Voxer app after she records it, she records a note just after class is over. There is an “up” and share arrow that she uses to share to a teacher's email that uses her voice to tell teachers what she's heard. Meredith uses it for students and for teachers. She has used it to leave compliments for students but didn't want to interrupt the class so she sent the message to the teacher to playback to the students.
- Video – Webcamera.io and Apple Clips
- Google Slides or Google Drawings – she makes a template ahead of time that she can just type a message on and download it as a graphic and it is big when they open their email.
- Personalizing Post It Notes – hat tip to Tony Vincent for this one to create post-it notes and print them out. (There are some super cool templates here for more than compliments but also to encourage writing and more.)
Meredith Akers – Bio As Submitted
Meredith Akers is an Elementary Principal who believes that the best way to help others grow is to build relationships, offer support, serve, love, and be transparent about how she is working to grow herself. Her daily aspiration is to make a positive impact and to leave those she serves better off for having interacted with her.
Other Shows featuring Meredith Akers
Tips for minimizing teacher stress
- Discover 10 stress-busting secrets for healthy teachers. What simple routines will help you handle the stress?
- Simple advice for coping with stress at work.
- Learn tips to help you deal with difficult colleagues and students (even those who "hate" you -- yes it is possible!)