Schools spend time, resources, and focus on security. Now, that security is moving online. What was once relegated to the IT department is now everybody’s business. In today’s show, I share four security issues that are on my mind. First, video conferencing security. Second, encouraging parents to conduct a security audit in the content management or learning management system you are using. Third, I talk about increasing awareness of social media manipulation by countries. Finally, I share what I think will be the next attempt to steal information from your students and teachers through spearphishing.
Listen to 4 Security Issues from Distance Learning
Subscribe to the Show
Get Credit! Some schools, districts, and organizations allow credit for listening to podcasts. Whether they do or don’t, to get the most out of listening you can use this Podcast PD Template Hyperdoc. Just make a copy and adapt it for your use or print it. If you don’t have Google Docs, just use this PDF.
Distance Learning Privacy & Security Resources
- Video Conferencing Security – Listen to “All Systems Go – How Went to Distance Learning Without Missing a Beat“
- Google Privacy Controls – Parents can go to their child’s Google dashboard and scroll down to do a security checkup and privacy checkup.
- Social Media Manipulation – I saw a post from Beth Kanter about this poster and as it was being discussed, several noted some Russian in the original pice and their sites. (WARNING: The post itself is Not Safe For Work – NSFW as it uses one inappropriate word.) This was in the New York Times (several days after I recorded this podcast.) Also the Wall Street Journal points out how China is pushing viral messages to shape the coronavirus narrative.
- The next wave of “spearphishing” against schools? I read this article and this article and then share what this could mean for schools.
Vicki Davis is a classroom teacher and an Instructional Technology Director. She blogs at the Cool Cat Teacher Blog and hosts this podcast. See www.coolcatteacher.com/bio for her full bio.
Tips for minimizing teacher stress
- Discover 10 stress-busting secrets for healthy teachers. What simple routines will help you handle the stress?
- Simple advice for coping with stress at work.
- Learn tips to help you deal with difficult colleagues and students (even those who "hate" you -- yes it is possible!)