Teaching kids to love reading is a challenge. Pam Allyn, the author of 23 books, is a literacy expert who helps schools, parents, and teachers help kids love reading. On today's show, she shares two important ways to help struggling students become lifelong readers. This is an excellent listen for teachers, curriculum directors, and parents. Share this one!
Thank you Flocabulary, today's sponsor. Listeners, Get a Free 75-Day Trial for Your School!
[callout] A teacher in my school came running into the teacher's lounge thanking me for getting her started with Flocabulary. She's using hip hop to teach parts of speech and complex sentences. I've used it to teach goal setting.
Flocabulary is a fantastic tool for teaching literacy, science, math, history, and just about any topic. With test prep season coming up, you want to try Flocabulary now! Flocabulary is offering a free 75 day trial for listeners of the show. (This is a special deal for Every Classroom Matters listeners. Click here to get started.)
We've shared quite a few shows on using music and hip hop to teach kids, but here's a tool we all can use. They don't just have videos, but include lesson plans, quizzes, and reinforcement materials on each topic. Sign up now.
[button href=”http://www.bamradionetwork.com/index.php?option=com_adagency&controller=adagencyAds&task=click&cid=35&bid=109&aid=3″ primary=”true” centered=”true” newwindow=”true”]Sign Up for a Free Trial of Flocabulary Now.[/button][/callout]
Teaching Topics: 2 Ways to Turn Struggling Students into Life-Long Readers
- How much free reading time to students need at home and school?
- How can we help kids learn to love reading and writing?
- Where can technology be used in reading and where should it not be used?
- Two excellent questions to ask struggling readers.
Educator Resources from this Episode
Pam Allyn has written 23 books on literacy, reading and standards alignment including:
- What to Read When: The Books and Stories to Read with Your Child and the Best Times to Read Them and
- Pam Allyn's Best Books for Boys: How to Engage Boys in Reading in Ways that Will Change Their Lives
- See all of Pam Allyn‘s Books
- @pamallyn on Twitter
Pinnable and Printable Inspiration from Pam Allyn
Never miss an episode
Get the 10-minute Teacher Show delivered to your inbox.