Stress caused me to lose half my hair and gain weight. Stress put Angela in the hospital three times in a year. As much as we love caring for children, we’ve learned very hard lessons that mattering starts with loving yourself enough to take care of yourself. From going offline to exercise to just taking a deep breath, it is time to get real about how you’re treating yourself. Listen Now.
If you aren’t alive, you can’t take care of kids. If you aren’t healthy, you can’t be in the classroom teach and in your best frame of mind. So many of us struggle with this, but it is time to get our lives back. Angela Maiers makes the crucial point that we cannot only live healthy lives in the summertime or during break. We have to live healthy on a daily basis.
Mattering starts with a decision to treat your own body like you matter. Precious teacher, you are important. Start treating yourself like it. Aptly, I listened to this episode as I pounded the elliptical tonight for 20 minutes. It felt great. I have a million things to do, but none is more important than my own physical body. For without a body, I cannot do everything else. If you’re struggling or know someone who is, listen and share this show and ask yourself the hard questions that will help you change.
Aptly, I listened to this episode as I pounded the elliptical tonight for 20 minutes. It felt great. I have a million things to do, but none is more important than my own physical body. If you’re struggling or know someone who is, listen and share this show and ask yourself the hard questions that will help you change.
Essential Questions: You Matter: Before You Help Students, You Must Help Yourself
- How do you step back when you’re overworked and exhausted?
- How does mattering in your classroom start with how you treat yourself?
- How can you commit to self-care and why it is so important?
- What was the hard question Angela asked Vicki over lunch that changed the direction of Vicki’s life?
Educator Resources from this Episode
Tips for minimizing teacher stress
- Discover 10 stress-busting secrets for healthy teachers. What simple routines will help you handle the stress?
- Simple advice for coping with stress at work.
- Learn tips to help you deal with difficult colleagues and students (even those who "hate" you -- yes it is possible!)