Digital shop class! Igniting wonder! You can write on the desks. You can write on the walls; there are no grades! Learning is a game where students level up and earn experience points. Kids are building things to improve their community. Does this sound like a dream? No! It’s happening right now in Kevin Jarrett’s classroom.
Kevin is using game based learning and every cutting edge tool you can imagine to ignite curiosity and spur on student achievement. Listen to today’s episode to uncover the secrets, tools, and tips behind teacher Kevin Jarrett’s cutting edge classroom.
Thank you Brainchase, today’s sponsor
The first team to decipher the clues and pinpoint the location of the treasure will get a $20,000 travel budget to travel and dig up the treasure themselves! Teams are forming now for the Spring 2016 quest, kicking off February 8, 2016. Learn more how you and your students can join now!
What You’ll Learn When You Listen to Today’s Show
- What is the structure of a classroom that ignites wonder?
- How can you have a student centered classroom and still have empathy and technology work together?
- Can you stop taking grades and still improve student achievement?
- How you can use game based learning with a simple WordPress plug-in.
- Why we shouldn’t use the term maker space anymore.
Educator Resources from this Episode
Here are links to the resource Kevin shared in the show. Listen to this show to learn how he used them.
- Game-on WordPress Plugin uses game based learning in your classroom.
- Ready, Set, Design curriculum from Cooper-Hewitt
- The Extraordinaires Design Studio
Tips for minimizing teacher stress
- Discover 10 stress-busting secrets for healthy teachers. What simple routines will help you handle the stress?
- Simple advice for coping with stress at work.
- Learn tips to help you deal with difficult colleagues and students (even those who "hate" you -- yes it is possible!)