Michael Matera (@mrmatera) is a middle school teacher, author of Explore Like a Pirate and speaker. As a gamification guru and moonshot thinker, Michael transforms the traditional classroom into a high-energy environment where active student engagement is paramount.
Helping educators learn about the power of a gamified immersive learning environment is Michael’s passion.
SMART Learning Suite is today’s sponsor. Register for my free Differentiating Instruction with Technology webinar sponsored by SMART Learning Suite next Thursday, February 9 at 4pm.
In today’s show, Michael gives us five simple ideas for implementing game-based learning in your classroom.
Today’s Give Away Contests! We have 4 give aways going right now. I’ve gotten emails saying some of you are having hard time figuring out how to leave a review. Here are instructions for iPhone/iPad or PC/Mac instructions. People who leave a review on iTunes will be entered in our drawing for four different items. (see rules at the bottom of this post):
- SMART Learning Suite (today’s sponsor)
- Michael Matera’s Book Explore Like a Pirate, and
- Michael Matera’s Mystery Box.
- Even if you win, everyone is entered in the drawing for the MakerBot Replicator Mini+
In this episode, we cover five simple ideas for implementing game-based learning in your classroom. Topics include:
- Pick a theme
- Adventure Paths
- Mini Games
- Use Game Mechanics
- Build Challenge
I hope you enjoy this episode with Michael Matera!
[Stitcher coming soon!]
- Listen on iTunes
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download this episode as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “Save As.”
Want to hear another show full of ideas? Here’s my interview with Karen Lirenman and Kristen Wideen about the best iPad apps for the elementary classroom.
Selected Links from this Episode
- Smart Learning Suite http://cctea.ch/10MT-smartlab
- Free Differentiating Instruction Webinar on Thursday, February 9 https://www.coolcatteacher.com/free-webinar-differentiate-instruction-technology/
- Explore Like a Pirate Website http://explorelikeapirate.com/
- Explore Like a Pirate Book http://amzn.to/2l1GT7M
- Ron Clark https://twitter.com/ronclarkacademy?lang=en
- Ron Clark’s Harry Potter-like House System https://mrsbowley.wordpress.com/2012/09/30/the-ron-clark-challenge-sorting-students-into-houses/
- Shakespearean Insult Generator http://www.pangloss.com/seidel/shake_rule.html
- Adventure Paths Vlog by Michael Matera http://explorelikeapirate.com/adventure-path-building-confidence-through-challenge-based-learning/
- Mystery Box Game https://explorelikeapirate.com/product/mystery-box-game/
- Kapla Blocks http://amzn.to/2l1LSVU
- ClassCraft https://game.classcraft.com/share/wDGcv6FpAWAyrrBhe
Check out my Epic Guide to Game-Based Learning with lots of resources!
Michael Matera (@mrmatera) is a middle school teacher, author of Explore Like a Pirate and Speaker. As a gamification guru and moonshot thinker, Michael transforms the traditional classroom into a high-energy environment where active student engagement is paramount.
Helping educators learn about the power of a gamified immersive learning environment is Michael’s passion. Learn more and connect with Michael to come to your school or event on Explorelikeapirate.com.
Contests included in this show
- See the contest rules for the SMART Learning Suite and MakerBot Replicator Mini+ in yesterday’s show.
- BOOK GIVEAWAY: Explore Like a PIRATE: Gamification and Game-Inspired Course Design to Engage, Enrich and Elevate Your Learners by Michael Matera AND
- SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY: Mystery Box Game by Michael Matera
- Manner of Selection of Winners: All participants with a valid Twitter or Instagram handle who leave a review on iTunes for the 10-Minute Teacher between February 3, 2017 and midnight on February 5, 2017 will have their handles put into a random drawing to determine the winner.
- Geographic Area and Eligibility: This is being shipped by the author and the location that is being shipped to should be commensurate with the shipping cost to North America. If it is not, an alternate winner may be awarded.
- Dates: February 3, 2017 – February 5, 2017 at midnight EST.
- How Prizes Will be Awarded: All names of people who leave reviews on iTunes will be put into a random drawing by the prize administrator.
- Determination of date of winner: February 6, 2017 the name will be drawn and the winner will be notified.
- No purchase necessary.
- Alternate method of free participation. You may also enter with a social media posting on Instagram or Twitter linking to the show using the hashtag #10MT.
- Winner’s name will be posted on this blog before February 27, 2017.
- Void where prohibited.
Disclosure of Material Connection: This is a “sponsored post and podcast episode.” The company who sponsored it compensated me via cash payment, gift, or something else of value to edit and post it. Additionally, some of the links in the post above are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I may receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I believe will be good for my readers and are from companies I can recommend. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.) Please also note that all opinions are my own or belonging to the guest on the show and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of any sponsor or employer.
Never miss an episode
Get the 10-minute Teacher Show delivered to your inbox.