Many teachers feel like teacher professional development is a waste. Dan Brown shares the three research-based ways to make teacher PD better. What is more hypocritical than a lecture on differentiated instruction or project based learning? But there is teacher professional development that DOES impact learning in the classroom. Let’s do that. Listen Now.
The best of teaching should not only be used in our classrooms, it should be used to teach teachers! We can improve professional development for teachers but it will mean redefining the traditional “seat time” approach to professional development. It may also mean redefining what we talk about at professional development experiences. Let’s rise to a higher standard and become inspired to be the model leaders this generation of teachers and students needs to improve education around the world.
Essential Questions: Teacher PD Is Still Broken, These 3 Steps Can Fix It
- What are the 3 key aspects of excellent PD according to research?
- How do we improve professional development and make it so it can get approved by regulatory organizations?
- How teachers can take on hybrid roles and become leaders in professional development?
- How can we bring student and school strengths into teacher professional development?
- How we can get to personalized learning plans for teachers?
- How can teachers move from martyrs to models?
Educator Resources from this Episode
- Dan Brown @danbrownteacher
- Dan’s book The Great Expectations School: A Rookie Year in the Blackboard Jungle
- Dan’s organization Educators Rising which works to encourage high school students to pursue a teaching career
- Dan quotes research from www.mitchell20.com
Download a Free Sample of Jennifer Gonzalez's Technology for Teachers 2016
Here's a PDF with some favorite apps and new ones too. Thanks Jennifer Gonzalez for creating this freebie just for Cool Cat Teacher Readers.
This PDF includes Storybird, Kahoot, Google Drive, Formative and Trello. See if the Teacher's Guide to Tech is Right for You!