Google Classroom allows teachers to easily manage student work and teaching with Google Docs, Google Forms, Google Spreadsheets and anything Google. This handy tool has opened up the doors of blended learning and collaborative classrooms like never before. Teachers wanting to implement Google Classroom can use these resources to get started, level up their learning, or become a pro at all things Google.
But there are so many sites! I’ve spent several weeks combing through resources and have picked some of my favorites. What are yours?
Updated: February 5, 2016
Google Classroom Resources
- All blog posts tagged GAFE on the Google for Education Blog
- All of Alice Keeler’s Google Classroom Blog Posts – She’s really one of the experts.
- Print out and Share this Image by Sean Jenkins as you promote awareness with your teachers about all they can do.
- 20 Collaborative Google Apps Activities for Schools by Matt Miller
- How to Manage a Classroom in Google
Interviews with Experts
- 10 Things Google Classroom Makes Easier – an Interview with Alice Keeler
- Cheaters: Google Apps Edition – Eric Curts walks through plaigarism prevention techniques
- 12 Great Ways to Use Google Drive in Education with Susan Oxnevad
Tools to Help You Work with Google Classroom
- A Google Classroom Symbaloo – Share this one with teachers who are getting started. They can make it their startup screen and test one thing a day.
- Google Apps/ GAFE Tutorials for Teachers – a massive site full of tutorials. Use and email these out as you have specific tasks for teachers to learn. For beginners
- The Google Gooru – The Gooru has a daily email with Google apps tips and lots of ideas for using Google. They also have tutorials and webinars. The lead GAFE administrators should definitely use this resource.
- Sue Gorman’s Getting Googley Resource
- Online Assessment with Google Forms – this document gives walk throughs for Flubaroo and other tools to help you assess using Google Forms
- Flubaroo – help for grading online assessments
- Doctopus helps with management – while it does some things Google Classroom does, there are other features it manages too.
- There’s also a Goobric web app launcher for Chrome.
- Use this Graphic for Students Turning in Work
- 10 Tools for Assessment for Google Apps on the iPad
- Google Classroom: Using the Rubric Tab to Assess Students
- Alice Keeler’s Google Classroom Feedback Workflow
- Google Classroom and GeoGebra
- 60 Ways Math Teachers Can Use Google Classroom by Alice Keeler
- gMath for Forms – add math symbols to Google Forms
- 5 Ways Students Can Use Google Docs in Math
- gMath for Sheets – Lets you add formulas to Google Sheets
- Mathematical Equations – Up to Date Information from Google on using equations
- Google Classroom Part I – How 7th grade math teacher Sherrie Nackel organizes her files and assignments
Literature and Composition
- Voice Typing and Other Tools to Use with Google Docs
- Google Classroom: Using a Writing Journal
- 15 Best Google Drive Add-Ons for Education
- 5 Ways to Make Professional Looking Google Documents
- How to Add Google Drive to Microsoft Word
- How to Make Google Chrome Faster, Better and Prettier
- Helpful Google Search Modifiers Poster
- Google Docs Research Tool Removes the Drudgery from Presentations
- Google Research Tool by Tammy Worcester Tang
- Google Classroom Add-on for Chrome For beginners
- Classroom Mobile App for Android and iOS
- Edusync app for Google Calendars
- Google Chrome Desktop Plugin lets you access another person’s Chromebook or Chrome browser from your teacher computer (or vice versa)
- Share to Classroom lets you push web pages to your student browsers instantly. Helps get everyone on the same page quickly
- 50 Things You Can Do with Google Classroom by Alice Keeler and Libbi Miller For beginners
- Reinventing Writing by Vicki Davis
Google Classroom Research and White Papers
Brown, M. E., & Hocutt, D. L. (2015). Learning to use, useful for learning: a usability study of Google apps for education. Journal of Usability Studies,10(4), 160-181.
Dotson, K. B., & Clark, C. (2015). Together we can… Knowledge Quest,44(2), 8.
Izenstark, A., & Leahy, K. L. (2015). Google Classroom for Librarians: Features and Opportunities. Library Hi Tech News, 32(9), 1-3.
Johnson, C. H., Linahan, M., Cuba, A. F., Dickmann, S. R., Hogan, E. B., Karos, D. N., … & Ropinski, B. L. (2016, January). Google Classroom and Open Clusters: An Authentic Science Research Project for High School Students. In American Astronomical Society Meeting Abstracts (Vol. 227).
Kelly, L. B. (2015). ” You Can’t Just Write an Essay in an Hour”: Supporting Middle Schoolers’ Peer Feedback and Revision Process through Online Writing Groups. Voices From the Middle, 23(2), 81.
Phiri, L., Meinel, C., & Suleman, H. (2016). Streamlined Orchestration: An Orchestration Workbench Framework for Effective Teaching. Computers & Education.
Build Your Google Classroom PLN
Google Classroom Hashtags
- #gafechat is the first and third Tuesday of each month 8-9 pm CST
- #gafesummit – This is run by Edtechteam.com but many people share resources to this hashtag
Google Classroom Pinterest Boards
- Resources on Pinterest relating to Google Classroom https://www.pinterest.com/explore/google-classroom/
- Shake Up Learning has 155 guides and tutorials on Google Classroom: https://www.pinterest.com/ShakeUpLearning/google-classroom/
- Dianne Miller’s Pinterest Board https://www.pinterest.com/1dimiller/google-classroom/
- Resources on Pinterest about Google Docs https://www.pinterest.com/explore/google-docs/
- Nadine Trinchero has 160+ resources on her Pinterest Board https://www.pinterest.com/ntrinchero/google-docs-in-the-classroom/
- Shake Up Learning has another board with lots of resources: https://www.pinterest.com/ShakeUpLearning/all-things-google/
Accounts Who Share About Google Classroom on Twitter
This is hard because there are so many who tweet about #gafe, but here a few.
- @GoogleforEdu – The official handle for everything Google in education
- @GAFEAcademy – the Google Apps for Education Academy
- @EdTechTeam – They do a lot of training classes for Google Apps
- @thegooglegooru – Has lots of tips for using Google
- @alicekeeler – She’s an expert.
- Download the Gooru’s Classroom Cards – you could print and share these at a staff meeting For beginners
80+ Google Classroom Tutorials from Richard Byrne
For beginners – a great playlist. Just click on the list and pick the video you need. Richard Byrne is someone I highly recommend!
2015 – New Google Classroom Features
Matt Miller created a fantastic overview of Google Classroom Features in late 2015, but also demonstrates the use of hotlinks in videos. This excellent tutorial is one that lets you just see what you want about recently added Google Classroom Features. Just click the link that interests you and it will take you to the video. (You do have to click play first.)
###Google Classroom Tutorial 2015
Convert an Image to an Editable Doc
Google Docs in the Math Classroom by Daniel Kaufman
What is missing?
Please leave your suggestions in the comments.
Download a Free Sample of Jennifer Gonzalez's Technology for Teachers 2016
Here's a PDF with some favorite apps and new ones too. Thanks Jennifer Gonzalez for creating this freebie just for Cool Cat Teacher Readers.
This PDF includes Storybird, Kahoot, Google Drive, Formative and Trello. See if the Teacher's Guide to Tech is Right for You!